The Law & Mediation Offices of Diane J.N. Morin
Whatever Your Family Law Needs, We Can Help
Whatever Your Family Law Needs Are, We Can Help 650-473-0822
Areas & Topics

October 2018 Archives

What are the different types of marital property?

When you file for divorce in California, there are many issues that you must negotiate in the final divorce settlement. One of the most overwhelming may be that of property division and determining who is entitled to what in the settlement. California is a community property state, meaning all marital property and assets are divided equally in half. You must be fully aware of all martial assets, however, in order to ensure you receive everything you are entitled to in the settlement.

Prenups: not as touchy as you might think

It may not sound romantic, but marriages are a type of business arrangement. When you get married, you take on your spouse’s financial successes and burdens. While this is not always a bad thing, there is always a risk involved. That is why some couples think about and eventually choose to create a prenup.

What are the benefits of alternative dispute resolution?

Alternative dispute resolution, or ADR as it is commonly called, refers to the method of resolving legal disputes without having to go through litigation. Though California judges might review the validity of chosen ADR methods used in divorce, they will rarely overturn the decisions made in the mediation sessions. If you are about to embark on divorce in California, there are several reasons for why you should consider alternative dispute resolution. 

Control your divorce process

What is divorce to you? Many people in California look at it as the end of a relationship. However, relationships tend to persist — whether we want them to or not. This is even more so when ongoing maintenance agreements are involved, such as alimony, child custody and child support.

What is palimony?

You know you can sometimes win a spousal support award in a California divorce, but did you know that in many cases you can also obtain support when you end your nonmarital live-in relationship? Per FindLaw, California is the only state with a unique law that provides for palimony when cohabiting partners end their relationship.

Law Offices of Diane J.N. Morin
2225 E. Bayshore Rd., Suite 200
Palo Alto, CA 94303-3220

Phone: 650-473-0822
Fax: 650-473-0812
Map & Directions